– How to detect rust?
– Characteristics of a rust destroyer
– Price of a rust remover
Nowadays, the paints used for car bodies contain rust inhibitors and thus make the problem less common. But sometimes, air, humidity and lack of care can cause rust to appear on your vehicle. When the first signs of rust appear, you must act quickly; otherwise, it is irreparable!
Rust remover: how to detect rust?
Take a close look at your vehicle’s bodywork and paintwork. Be meticulous! Can you see any small blisters in the paint? If so, it is likely that rust has started to attack your vehicle and that the damage is not yet noticeable on the surface. It’s time to begin your service with a rust remover!
Good to know: Rust attacks metals and is not a harmless thing. It is illegal to sell a rusted car with hidden body damage. Be prepared for trouble before it catches you off guard!
The characteristics of a rust destroyer
Rust remover is a chemical product that will destroy the appearance of rust and restore the metal without attacking the iron in a single operation.
The rust remover has many advantages:
– it chemically destroys rust;
– it does not attack the iron;
– it strips copper;
– it penetrates inaccessible places;
– it is odourless and non-flammable.
Before using the rust remover, you must prepare the rust-stained area.
– Take a sander and elbow grease and clean the area thoroughly. It is possible that as you scrape the area, you will find that the damage has spread. Continue your work on the entire surface without getting discouraged. The metal should be bare and shiny! Do not hesitate to continue the work on at least 5 cm around the damaged area;
– Don’t forget to dust the surface to be treated!
– Take a brush and apply the product;
– Let it work without rinsing;
– Once the surface is dry, you can repaint the area.
Good to know: if some parts seem very rusty, soak them in the product for a few hours to strip them completely. Be careful not to leave the material for more than 48 hours, or it may be damaged.
Price of the rust remover
You can find rust removers in supermarkets, hardware stores and automotive stores.
Prices vary according to the brand purchased. For an entry-level product, you should expect to pay a little more than $10. The cost can go up to $30 for the top of the range.
Here is a plethora of articles for you to read:
- When Can a Leak Detector Be Used on a Head Gasket?
- How to Change Your Brake Fluid
- DIY Car Dent Removal
- How to Verify Braking Noises
- How Do You Restore Car Leather
- What Is Torque Tightening
- Are Puncture Proof Tires Any Good?
- How to Repair a Crack on a Dashboard
- 5 Common Causes of Hydraulic Power Steering Failure
- How to Solve a Power Steering Problem
- 5 Steps to Install a Car Window Film
- Is It Worth Buying an Auto Diagnostic Kit
- Automotive Equipment: What Is the Wheel Balancer Used For
- Ever Wonder If Your Vehicle Has a Misalignment Issue?
- The Solution to Combat Engine Fouling
- Why Will You Remove the Catalyst Converter?
- A Guide to Understanding Automotive Mechanics
- Why Perform a Car Diagnostic?
- Increasing the Pressure of a Turbo (Part 1)
- What Is Ultrasonic Car Injector Cleaning?
- 4 Essential Tips to Clean a Car Injector