Cars Topics | How to Choose a Piston Compressor
– Piston compressors: for industry and the general public
– The drive motion of the reciprocating compressor
– Piston compressor power: up to 420 kW
– Piston compressor: versatile and efficient
– Price of a reciprocating compressor: from approx. $70 onwards
A reciprocating compressor is a component powered by an electric motor.
To choose the suitable compressor, it is necessary to:
– understand the principles and different uses of compressed air,
– understand how a compressor works: screw compressor or piston compressor?
Piston compressor: for industry and the general public
The piston compressor was the first type of compressor to be developed and uses the rotation of an electric motor to drive its components to compress the air. Piston compressors are widely used by :
– by the general public,
Piston compressors are widely used in industry to fill bottles with air, produce beverage containers, and start engines.
Unlike other models, they are also able to compress gas at very low alterations and high pressures.
Note: They can handle different types of gas (inert, nitrogen, CNG, landfill).
Piston Compressor Drive Motion
In a reciprocating compressor, the piston slides in a valve (cylinder):
– this valve is used for the intake and discharge of the refrigerant in a gaseous state,
– The movement is from front to back.
How this type of compressor works
The motor creates the rotary motion, drives the shaft and the connecting rod, and drives the piston. The 3 phases of operation :
2 types of piston compressors: single or double-acting
There are two types of piston compressors:
– single-acting compressor: the compression is carried out on one side of the piston,
– Double-acting compressor: compression takes place on both sides of the piston.
Power of a piston compressor: up to 420 kW
The power of a piston compressor depends on its configuration:
– single-stage: low pressure on a small volume unit,
– multi-stage: very high pressure (step compression).
The power of a reciprocating compressor ranges from 0.75 kW to 420 kW (1 HP to 563 HP).
The pressure rating of a reciprocating compressor ranges from 1.5 to 414 bar.
Here are the different power ratings of a reciprocating compressor:
PISTON COMPRESSOR RATINGS
Type of reciprocating compressor
Nominal power output
From 0.75 kW.
From 1.5 bar.
Up to 420 kW (from 1 HP to 563 HP).
Up to 414 bar.
Piston compressor: versatile and efficient
Choosing a reciprocating compressor has several advantages:
– Stable gas usage,
– Less expensive than other systems,
– Uncompromising efficiency.
But this type of compressor:
– lacks specialization,
– works only with an electric motor,
– has a lower performance than other models.
Price of the piston compressor: from about $70.
As an indication, here is a price range for the purchase of a piston compressor:
PRICE OF A PISTON COMPRESSOR
Top of the range
- When Can a Leak Detector Be Used on a Head Gasket?
- How to Change Your Brake Fluid
- DIY Car Dent Removal
- How to Verify Braking Noises
- How Do You Restore Car Leather
- What Is Torque Tightening
- Are Puncture Proof Tires Any Good?
- How to Repair a Crack on a Dashboard
- 5 Common Causes of Hydraulic Power Steering Failure
- How to Solve a Power Steering Problem
- 5 Steps to Install a Car Window Film
- Is It Worth Buying an Auto Diagnostic Kit
- Automotive Equipment: What Is the Wheel Balancer Used For
- Ever Wonder If Your Vehicle Has a Misalignment Issue?